Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lasagna is to Layers as...

We literally have a library of children's books in our home. My mom has been collecting them for years, since she was an elementary school teacher and my sister has also started her own collection of unique children's books. I think we were among a small number of children who actually grew up reading nursery rhymes. We loved finding adventure in the pages of these books and my all time favorite was (and still is), "The Napping House". If you haven't read it, it's definitely an exciting read! Keep an eye out for that pesky little flea! Now, I bring up books because all the while I was making our recipe this week, I was reminded of a silly book we had when I was younger called, "Go Hang A Salami, I'm A Lasagna Hog". It's a book filled with palindromes, which are words or phrases that read the same backward and forward. I always found these fascinating and I wondered how long it took people to actually come up with those silly phrases and stick them all in a book. Someone must have a had a lot of time on their hands! Never the less, they are pretty entertaining to read. I decided to go downstairs to our massive library of books (which is in no sort of alphabetical order, or organized fashion might I add) in hopes of finding the little book of palindromes to scan for y'all. In pure shock, I actually found it in about a minute.


Now, I wouldn't exactly call myself a lasagna hog, but I would say that lasagna is pretty close to a type of palindrome! A palindrome in the food sense! It's layered bottom to top with the same ingredients, just in the same way a palindrome is made up of letters spelling the same thing backward and forward. Sauce, noodle, sauce, cheese, filling, sauce, noodle, sauce, cheese, filling, sauce, noodle, sauce...It's like an edible palindrome.

I wasn't always good with these in school, but I'd have to say...

Lasagna is to layers as a palindrome is to letters??

Well, maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, kiddo!! You actually found that book, quickly?? I never thought about layering letters when we read that book when you were a little bit, but I like your idea:-) By the way, was your lasagna tasty? No photo this time, and no cooking details? I'll have to see the recipe when Heather does her post:-) Meanwhile, I'll try to consider getting those children's books organized by the Dewey Decimal System. NOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pic!!! Your lasagna sure looks yummy:-) Go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...