Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bad Hair Days


You know when it's humid outside and your hair just won't do what you want it to do? It frizzes uncontrollably, it puffs out, it waves and wiggles in all different directions. Humidity is not a girl's best friend. And it's not a cake pop's best friend either...

On July 4th, my nephew turned a year old. Hard to believe, I know! Heather and I decided to attempt another sweet treat for a birthday dessert. Cake pops! "What's a cake pop?" you might ask. Well, it's basically cake, in a ball, on a stick, covered in sugar. Can't get much better than that, in my opinion! The trick with these pops, however, is that they must stay cool so they don't slide down the stick. That, my friends, is what humidity will do to a cake pop. Despite having a few pops that did start sliding down the sticks, the majority of the cake pops turned out excellent and were a success! Having never made anything remotely close to this before, we definitely took on a complicated dessert and took a risk. Heather and I had a two person assembly line going. She dipped, I decorated, and yes, of course we made a mess. Well, let me clarify. I made a mess. I never realized how high and how far little sprinkles can fly. That's when Heather suggested I sprinkle the pops over the sink. Now, why didn't I think of that? Years from now, Heather will discover red, white and blue sprinkles in random places in her kitchen. On top of the refrigerator...behind the stove...melted into a candle...

But, it was all worth it. All for one special little boy, who deserved a very special first birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Great pics of the yummy pops:-) It was definitely a super birthday dessert!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...