Sunday, January 30, 2011

Roasted What?

That's right, chickpeas. I can handle chickpeas on a salad and I definitely like them mashed up and made into hummus. But, roasted? This would be interesting for sure. Would they explode in that hot oven like popcorn? Would they just burn up into little bits of chickpea coal? There was one way to find out! This recipe was much less involved than the last one and I was excited about that. I only managed to make one chickpea fly in the air and I'm happy to report that it didn't land in my hair! Below are before and after pictures of the little bits of roasted goodness. Yes, I said goodness. They were absolutely delicious and a bit addicting! Once I popped the first one in my mouth, I couldn't stop my hand from going back into the bowl!


Have you ever had a chestnut roasted on an open fire? ...or in the oven? If you have, and if you like them, then I think you will really like these. They reminded me of roasted chestnuts because some of them were slightly soft on the inside, but crispy on the outside. Mmm mmm! Two years ago, we made roasted chestnuts in the oven at Christmas and although chickpeas are much smaller, they kind of resembled them. Now please don't misinterpret. I think they resemble chestnuts. The flavors of the two are MUCH different. Honestly, the chickpeas are way better than the chestnuts in my opinion! I just couldn't get the Christmas song out of my head and I really wanted to write a new song for roasted chickpeas......


Sung to the tune of Chestnuts Roasting on An Open Fire

"Chickpeas roasting in a kitchen stove
Mandi peering through the door
Hoping those peas don't explode at their seams
With chickpea guts flying everywhere...."

I haven't come up with the rest of the song yet, but I think you get the idea. Happy roasting!! Oh, and good luck controlling your hand. It's sure to be back in that bowl before you know it!

2 comments:

  1. I'll never be able to sing "Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire" without a smile:-)
    I love these treats!! Sooooo yummy!!
    Chick Pea Popcorn?? Coal??? Too funny!!
    You always make me laugh right out loud!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I thought those mushy little things were only good for hummus. Maybe soup? You did good!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...