Sunday, September 25, 2011

anything but bland

With our vegan month quickly approaching, I have been trying to prepare myself. Initially, I kinda freaked out about the idea of not being able to have milk in my coffee. "How will I survive a whole month without coffee??" Heather quickly told me that I can use soy milk. Of course I knew what soy milk was, but the thought of using it in replace of my milk...I was a little hesitant. So, in these few weeks before we officially go milk-less, I have purchased some soy milk, soy butter, and I've told a lot of people that I'll be attempting this non-dairy, non-meat, non-anything-from-animals diet. I've discovered that I like vanilla soy milk, and I realize that I need to be held accountable or else I just don't do certain things I'd like to. So, yes, we are telling family, coworkers, and the blogging world. In my preparation for October, I have also made a few vegan recipes on my own. One of them being a lentil "burger". It was an easy recipe, but the burgers didn't stay together very well, and it was rather bland. I'm assuming that this lentil burger was supposed to resemble or at least be a substitute for ground beef. Since I wasn't too thrilled with the patties I made, I needed to come up with some way to make the "beef" more exciting. When Heather found this salsa recipe, I thought, "Perfect! I can add some taco seasoning to my lentil patties, make a taco out of it and add the salsa for added flavor." Genius I tell you! Genius! The salsa was anything but bland, so it added a great little kick of spice to my taco. It's garden fresh, healthy, and delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I loved your lentil burgers as they were, but I'm sure the salsa kick is a nice addition:-) Did you save any for me?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...